Thursday 13 August 2009

Space, time, and arrangement.

Yes, another post. I am being artifically powered by Starbucks coffee, and taking advantage of the free refill on drip tap. Nice. So I am not really awake; most people know that is my style!

Space
------

Right now I am trying to get some studio space and time with an engineer. Organising this is proving harder than waking in the mornings! That's a lie, but with time constraints and being sort-of quite busy all the time it is just being a little slow. Maybe I will get through soon! I always have a few back-up plans, but they are the backups for a reason! Anyway... best of luck me.

Time
------

Sorting out time within arrangements is pretty crucial to the arrangement sounding musical. It is the same with a solo, this is something I am learning more and more and something which I think should be a huge focus for musicians. The importance of space and time within music. Hopefully I will have a lot of practise time to sort out my own head for the recordings, playing in the show is dominating, so I am feeling lazy for taking it easy during the days!

Arrangement
--------------

I am becoming increasinly interested in more thoroughly composed Jazz music. The typical lead-sheet form to tunes (AABA or whatever) is fine, but there is soo much space for more. There are a bunch of great modern players who have obviously become aware of this and are producing some fantastic music; Tom Harrell, Terrell Stafford, Kurt Rosenwinkel etc etc... so this is something I will be studying over time.

Regarding harmony, I am becoming more and more fond of clusters and secundal chords. Obviously these, as with dissonance and consconance, must be used in appropriate harmonic context. In any case, I really enjoy the resonance from clusters and seconds.


That is all for now. I should start working again!

No comments:

Post a Comment