Friday 28 August 2009

Next, please!

Well I am still alive!

I had little studio time, but I did bootleg my own session to get a listen to what I did before the real tracks appear post mixing - and as a real backup, I am anal like this! I have only listened to the first few takes of Softly, As In a Morning's Sunrise, and the final take is decent, at least by my playing standards. My playing was more adventurous in the 2nd take, but I think more focused in the last.

Because of the way everything panned out (no pun), my sound engineer took a portable kit and we recorded in a local carpeted church hall - it has a nice reverb and had the space at the time we needed. I will admit to being rather stressed for about 2 weeks concerning everything that transpired today!

Being my first recording experience I was a bit nervous, and although some of what I have heard so far has been fine, for me, some hasn't worked as well as it did in practise. I find it hard to totally open up and really forget myself, when I do I play best. Anyway, for me, I am still reserved about my judgement, I am very much still a developing amateur, but I think for my first attempt it is ok (by my standards... compared to... well lets not go there!!!)

I was amazed at how insanely fast it all went by... this day although seemingly incredibly slow at first, shot by from about 2.20pm till bed, 12 hours later! Anyway, its done, an honest days work and what is will be (if that makes sense!!)

After recording I cooked a killer steak dinner and enjoyed a nice glass of South African Cabernet Sauvignon. Bit of a wind down! (I enjoy cooking you see). Peppered steaks, baked vine tomatos with brown sugar and pepper glaze (thanks to Dan MgEown's recipe!), Irish potatos, corns on the cob, caremalised red onion and too much garlic butter!

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment