Monday 19 April 2010

A new creation

I have been "inventing" - I bet this has been done, but none-the-less it is an invention.

I play a little on low brass, a Bach USA marching baritone really - this was an impulse buy but it is proving to be more useful as time goes on, so I want to be able to easily double on it and my main instrument - the trumpet.

I took an old 12C (Blessing) and cut the shank off, and brazed a Denis Wick 5 French Horn mouthpiece - this is like a large trumpet mouthpiece, but exceptionally deep. I think the depth is what helps it keep some core in the sound - it is bright, but not horrible.

Step 1: Ruin 1 mouthpiece

Step 2: Check that they fit well. I actually drilled this out more such that the French Horn mouthpiece sat in just under 1/2" more for the sake of tuning. Play testing before brazing was a smart idea. Nearly didn't bother!

Step 3: Ruin 2 mouthpieces
Step 4: Give her a wee clean up and admire the sight of 2 ruined mouthpieces!

Step 5: Stick up a dodgey youtube video!


For neater results the brazing requires more heat than our small blowtorch can produce, so if there is a next time(s) I may invest in an oxyacetylene torch. What we have is an air-tight, strong seal, so I am happy with the result. There is a "bend" in the mouthpiece (more like an angle between the cup and shank of the piece, it was not bent, it just seated off axis when brazing). This actually feels very comfortable. I have half a mind (over-statement) to get one of my Trumpet pieces professionally bent, say to 5*. Maybe I will just drop it down (more) stairs... might work!

Anyhow, forgive the playing - I really don't play these instruments much, or ever as is the case for the Bass Trombone which had a Denis Wick 0 mouthpiece in it. (my sister's horn) The sound quality on the video is rough, but anyway you can hear my "laconic" voice... which I am sure everyone wants.. deep down, yanno?


Anyway, I have the semi-hollow body carved-top completed (not oiled yet). Very favourable comments from Mr Mark McKnight. I have some video clips from Mark's play testing with the Linley Hamilton Quintet, but the audio is clipped - I will try to fix this and seek the appropriate creative permissions to share the video here.

My blessings,
Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment