Tuesday 29 December 2009

Computer Build #1

Right, Blogger wiped my last blog text which I am now re-writing, but in a more indignant and to the point manner.

I am building a new computer - my 4/5 year old Acer 5051 is near death's door. I didn't want to spend too much money as I don't have a lot, but I decided to build a machine which will be somewhat future-proof.

-DDR3
-P55 (socket 1156) board
-supporting high FSB
-supporting FAST memory

I decided to build a system based around the i5 750 chip which is a bit legendary for overclocking. People have boasted a safe 4.2GHz (from 2.66GHz) - that seems a bit heavy for me, that chip ran at 80*c and would require me to upgrade the cooling solution I ordered, so I am aiming for 3.6-3.8GHz.


A rough idea of power (processor benchmarks):

N270 (1.6GHz single-core Intel Atom) - 300
Turion-64 (2GHz single-core AMD) - 400
i5 750 (Intel Quad-core at stock 2.66GHz)- 4100
i5 750 (at 3.4GHz OC) - 5400

I am hoping to nearly grace the 6000 with the full over clocking.

For CPU cooling I have chosen an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro:

It is quite a brute of a cooler, and it wasn't that expensive (£20). I hope it fits on the motherboard - it should clear the capacitors at the ram slots, but it may obscure a ram slot, regardless, we will see. It can always be sent back or modified - I am not afraid of wire cutters or a hacksaw :)

Worth noting that the above CPU cooler, the PSU and the 120mm case fan are especially quiet - nothing worse than a BIG WHIRRING desktop!

The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-P55-US3L Intel P55 which should facilitate easy over-clocking. Should be able to push the FSB speeds enough on it. Not really worth including a pic, but I will anyway!



The RAM is DDR3 - Geil Ultra Series (4GB) PC3-17000 2133MHz (Dual Channel). Having really fast RAM is an advantage, because I will have to under-clock this to over-clock my CPU.


Being tired is really lowering my interest in talking about every component - lets keep this sharp.

- 500W OCZ eXtreme PSU
- boring cheap ATX tower
- Akaza 120mm silent case fan
- Radeon 4350 1024MB PCI Express graphics (IE cheapo, low powered graphics - not intending to game)
- Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB drive (16MB buffer, SATA-II)
- Existing 22" Acer screen (x224w or something)

All in, I spent about £80 more than I wanted to, but it is a system which should be blisteringly fast with plenty of upgrade potential. In the future I plan to add:

1TB drive - preferably Samsung - never had a Samsung fail, quiet great drives. Unlike Hitachi - in my family in the past year we have witnessed 5 Hitachi drives fail. Can you believe that?! Total rubbish. AVOID. Western Digital have let me down before, but I have an external which has been reliable for years now, so no complaints.

A further 4GB of ram.

A DVD-R/RW drive, preferably a dual layer one - should only be near £20 - I have an external which will do for now.

A card reader - again, I have an external, but it would be nice to have one built in.

Anyway, it should arrive on Thursday, so I am excited! I expect a few days of no sleep and Prime 95 torture testing on the computer :)

Till then... peace!
Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment